Whoopie Pies I74 Reviews
“Chocolate cake circles sandwiched with a creamy vanilla frosting-like filling.” - by Bernice Smith
Original recipe yields 1 dozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
- To Make Cookies: In a large bowl cream 1/2 cup of shortening , 1 cup sugar and 2 egg yolks. (Set egg whites aside for filling.) NOTE: If you don't want to use raw egg white in the filling, leave it out. Substitute 1 whole egg for the 2 egg yolks in the cookie recipe so you don't end up with leftover whites!!
- In a separate bowl sift together 2 cups flour, 5 T cocoa, 1 t baking powder, 1/2 t salt, 1 t baking soda. Add to other mixture alternately with milk, beating well. Add vanilla at the end.
- Drop by large spoonful on greased pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- To Make Filling: Beat together 3/4 cup shortening, 2 cups confectioners' sugar, 2 egg whites and dash of salt till light. Add 1 tsp. vanilla.
- To assemble: Spread the flat side of one cookie circle with a spoonful of filling. Top with another.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 873 cal
- 46.2 g
- 109.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (74)Rate This Recipe
"Warning...Only those with an Olympic class sweet tooth need attempt! They're good, but as per the recipe they are very sweet. The cookie is very good, light with a nice chocolate taste. The vanilla fi..." See morelling is not very stiff so don't use too much because it will just squeeze out the side when you bite into them. I also made some with peanut butter filling (half PB and half confectioner sugar). I couldn't eat more than two. I guess I could eat three if you dared me...four if you questioned my manhood...but I'd rather stop at two."
"I loved this recipe, I didnt change a thing. If the other reviwers husband didnt like this recipe to bad! Thats just his personal taste. There are alot of flavors I dont like but still may be in a goo..." See mored recipe. Dont let that stop you from trying this, its very good."
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Whoopie Pies V
Just swipe to see more like this.