Date Nut Pinwheel Cookies II14 Reviews
“This recipe makes three rolls of dough, which can be frozen until ready to bake.” - by Christy McCuiston
Original recipe yields 5 dozen
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Sift the cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and flour together in a second mixing bowl. Slowly stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until evenly blended.
- Divide the dough evenly into three portions and place each on a square of waxed paper. Wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by combine the dates, pecans, water and white sugar in a saucepan set over low heat. Cook and stir until the filling has a paste-like consistency. Cool slightly.
- Working with one portion at a time, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to make a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread 1/3 of the filling evenly over the dough; roll up to make a log. Repeat the process with the remaining dough. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Using a sharp, serrated knife, cut the rolls into 1/4 inch slices. Place the slices on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until set and lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool on racks.
Amount Per Serving (60 total)
- 123 cal
- 4.7 g
- 19.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (14)Rate This Recipe
"These cookies are SO good! My grandmother used to make them when I was growing up, and now it just isn't christmas without them. My kids love their shape, and I love that they aren't too sweet. I u..." See moresed to run out of filling before I ran out of dough, but have learned that a very thin layer of filling goes a long way. Also, I refrigerate them overnight so that they are very easy to slice the next day. Thanks!"
"These were delicious in flavor, but the dough was a little tough to work with. I made the logs and froze them for a few weeks until i needed them. Of all the christmas cookies i made, these were the..." See more big hit. I got a lot of great comments on them (and i had about 4 varieties in the box). I'll make these again for sure!"
Grandma Orcutt's Date Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.