Cherry Bell Cookies27 Reviews
“My mother, who was an avid collector of cookie recipes, always baked this cookie for Christmas. It is one of the many had in her special recipe book, which held only her favorite recipes.” - by Robin J.
Original recipe yields 5 dozen
- Sift together: 3 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ginger and 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee. Put aside.
- Cream 1 cup butter or margarine. Add 1 1/4 cups brown sugar. Cream well. Blend in dark corn syrup, egg, and cream. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Roll out dough, 1/3 at a time on floured board to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut cookies into 2 1/2 inch rounds. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- To Make Filling: Combine 1/3 firmly packed brown sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, 3 tablespoons cherry juice. Stir in 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts, chopped fine.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon filling in center of each round. Shape into a bell by folding sides of dough to meet over the filling using spatula to fold over sides. Make top of bell narrower than at the clapper end. Place 1/2 of a maraschino cherry (cut side down) at open end of each bell for clapper. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (30 total)
- 214 cal
- 10.8 g
- 28.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (27)Rate This Recipe
"This has been a Christmas favorite in my family for three generations. Great cookie. I chill the dough for about 20 min before rolling and also cut back the butter in the filling a little (it seems ..." See moreto make it spread less). Glad to see you put this one in."
"Thank you SO MUCH!! My mom made this recipe when we were kids. I was only 11 when she passed away in 1975 and have not had this recipe since. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. They taste just ..." See morelike the ones mom used to make!"
"I like many of the other cooks who rated this recipe love it! My mother also made these at Christmas. They were my favorite and I always asked her to make them at Christmas. After I was grown and ha..." See mored a family of my own she gave me the recipe and told me it was my turn to make them. I can see why she did so as they are time consuming to make, but so worth every minute you spend making them. My mother passed away 2 years ago and I am so glad she had the wisdom to give me this recipe and teach me to make them!"
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies II
Cherry Icebox Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.