Czech Kolache8 Reviews
“This is a kolache recipe from the Czech Republic.” - by Allison
Original recipe yields 4 dozen
- Pour yeast into 1/2 cup of lukewarm water. Set aside to soak.
- In a separate bowl mix together 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt. Add 1/2 cup melted shortening and 2 cups sifted flour. Beat well. Add in 2 beaten eggs and yeast mixture and mix well. Set aside to rest until bubbly and spongy.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of flour and blend well. Set aside to rise for 1 hour. Punch down and let rise again for 1 hour.
- To Make Filling: Beat together 2 egg yolks, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons flour and 1 cup of raisins. Add cottage cheese and mix well.
- Pinch off 1 inch balls from dough and press an indentation in the center of each. Put filling in. Let rise 15 minutes, then bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) until golden - 12-18 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 221 cal
- 6.4 g
- 34.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"I loved it.. My grandmother (babka) used to make these, but she omitted the raisins and used a single pitted cherry instead.. DELICIOUS!..." See more"
"Its very rare that I give something 5 stars, but this one deserves it. I had lots of cottage cheese to use so I made one batch and that was eaten up so i decided to make another- will make again and a..." See moregain and again, also good to put jam on top if you run out of topping."
Overnight Cinnamon Rolls I
Just swipe to see more like this.