Spumoni Squares11 Reviews
“These cookies have 3 layers: one pistachio, one cherry, one chocolate. Fancy enough for gift-giving or impressing a crowd.” - by Adriana Moreno
Original recipe yields 5 dozen
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. On low speed, beat in flour until blended. Shape dough into a brick and cut in thirds.
- Melt 2 1/2 tablespoons of the mini-chips. Flatten 1 portion dough, scrape melted chocolate over top and carefully knead until blended. Knead in remaining mini-chips. With palms, roll into a 2-foot rope. Flatten to 1/2 inch.
- Flatten another portion dough. Add 2 drops green food color and knead to blend, sprinkling lightly with flour if necessary. Knead in chopped pistachios. Roll into 2-foot rope, flatten, cut in half (for easier handling) and place end to end on chocolate layer. Repeat with remaining dough, kneading in 1 drop red food coloring, then the cherries. Roll, flatten, cut and place on pistacio layer. Cut into two 1-foot blocks; square off sides as much as possible. Wrap and chill until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cut blocks of chilled dough crosswise in 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 minutes or until puffed. Remove to wire rack to cool.
Amount Per Serving (30 total)
- 148 cal
- 8.3 g
- 17.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"Okay, there was some work involved, but the end result was delicious and really dressed up the cookie tray. I used this recipe with the assembly instructions from another recipe on this site (Neapoli..." See moretan Cookies submittee by Missy) and it took some time, but they were NOT difficult to assemble and definitely worth the time! I've copied Missy's assembly instructions below and applied them to the Spumoni recipe. It looks more complicated than it is...give it a try! Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with waxed paper, (I used a glass pan so I could see if the layers were even) and spread chocolate dough evenly in the bottom of the pan. Spread the pistachio dough evenly over the chocolate layer, and top with cherry dough layer. Cover layered dough with waxed paper, and place in the refrigerator until firm, about 4 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Turn out chilled dough by inverting pan; peel off waxed paper. With sharp knife, cut dough lengthwise in half. (I trimmed the outer edges so the cookier corners would be nicely squared) Slice each half of dough crosswise into 1/4 inch slices. Place slices on cookie sheet one inch apart. Bake 8 minutes minutes in the preheated oven, until puffed, but not browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. "
"I've been making these for a few years, they have become a tradition. It's absolutely essential that you use the best ingredients, including real butter or these will taste like crap. I opt for the "a..." See moreu natural" look and omit the food coloring, they look fine. I also use marshino cherries (drain the juice off) with no problems other than the dough being a little sticky. Chilling it will solve that problem."
Raspberry Squares II
Baked Cheesecake Squares
Just swipe to see more like this.