Kritika Patouthia3 Reviews
“This Greek recipe comes from Crete. It is a filled cookie with a filling of walnuts, almonds, sesame seeds, and honey.” - by Rosina
Original recipe yields 5 - 6 dozen
- Mix together olive oil, water, orange juice, lemon juice and sugar. Set aside. In a large bowl sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Add olive oil mixture to flour mixture.
- On a floured surface, work and knead to a smooth dough. Cover dough (you can place the empty bowl over it) and let dough rest for an hour.
- While dough is resting, make filling. To Make Filling: Combine ground walnuts, ground almonds, sesame seeds and honey together in a bowl. Mix until well coated.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 3 inch squares. Place 1 heaping teaspoon of filling in center of each square. Moisten edges with orange flower water or orange juice and cover the filling by folding in the four corners and pressing them firmly together in the center.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. While cookies are still warm, sprinkle lightly with orange flower water or orange juice and dip in a bowl of confectioners' sugar.
Amount Per Serving (72 total)
- 90 cal
- 4.3 g
- 12 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"The taste is great, but I had trouble with the dough. It was very elastic - after cutting 3" squares they would reduce rather quickly. This made it difficult to cover the filling. I'm not sure I'll..." See more use the dough again - maybe put the filling in something else."
"Loved the flavor, but had a hard time with the dough. Unlike SJHSPN, my dough was crumby and dry and wasn't holding the cookie shape. I have to confess that I subbed butter for olive oil and added abo..." See moreut 1/2 tsp each of lemon and orange zest so the dough would have a stronger citrus flavor, so maybe that is what made the difference. As I tried to shape the cookies, I progressively added a little more OJ in hopes of making the texture of the dough more workable, but I couldn't get it right. Finally, I gave up on individual cookies and turned them into cookie bars instead, laying them out in a 9 x 13 baking dish with dough on the bottom and filling on top. They baked up well, tasted wonderful, and cut into bars nicely. Our guests loved them and had no idea they were not intentionally cookies bars."
Filled Cookies III
Just swipe to see more like this.