“This is a typical Swiss recipe. You can buy the spitzbuben in any bakery here in Switzerland.” - by Maya
Original recipe yields 5 dozen
- To Make Vanilla Sugar: Combine 1 1/2 to 2 cups sugar with a rinsed and dried vanilla bean in a pint jar. Cover and shake well. Shake occasionally for 2 -3 days. Use flavored sugar, replenishing with fresh sugar, as needed.
- Beat butter or margarine until soft and fluffy. Mix in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla sugar, and salt until mass has a lighter color.
- Beat the egg white into the creamed mixture, making sure to incorporate fully. Add in the flour and mix. Cover the dough, and rest the dough in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator, and roll it out until it is about 3/4 inch thick. Cut out circles with pastry cutters. Cut smaller shapes into the middle of half of the circles.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Warm up marmalade, apricot, or raspberry jam. Put some jam on the cookies without the holes in the middle. Then put the cookies with the wholes on top of the ones with jam. Sprinkle a bit of confectioners' sugar on top to make them look nice.
Amount Per Serving (30 total)
- 160 cal
- 7 g
- 22.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"These turned out beautifully. I learned how to make these when I lived in Germany, but I lost the recipe. This one seems identical. Make sure to cut out extra tops, because they will ocassionally crac..." See morek during baking. In true German style, I love to put sauerkirsch (sour cherry) jam in the middle for a kick of tartness."
"These cookies are delicious! This has quickly become a new family favorite...I made a batch to send to my grandmother, but they were all gone before I could get them in the mail!..." See more"
Half Moon Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.