Sophie's Kolacky27 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 35 min
“This is my grandma's (Sophie) kolacky recipe, and it probably came from her grandmother in Poland. My family can't get enough of these at Christmas.” - by Peggy Malecki
Original recipe yields 3 dozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Using a pastry blender or food processor, cut butter into cream cheese.
- In a small bowl, sift dry ingredients together except for confectioners' sugar.
- Work dry ingredients into butter/cream cheese mixture until you have an even, mealy texture.
- Knead to form a stiff dough. If the dough gets too soft, refrigerate for about five minutes before continuing.
- Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter or glass, cut into about 3 inch diameter cookies. Keep re-rolling dough until you have used it all. Use your thumb to make a depression in each cookie. Place a 1/2 teaspoon of filling in the depression.
- Bake for about 20 minutes (until lightly golden). Let cool on a cookie rack. Dust lightly with confectioners' sugar. Store in an airtight container
Amount Per Serving (18 total)
- 216 cal
- 13.7 g
- 21.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (27)Rate This Recipe
"you simply cannot improve upon eastern pastry. Being Polish, I would give this 10 stars if I could..However, I have a few changes and suggestions. Pie filling is not thick enough or have strong enou..." See moregh taste for kolachy, so I use paste. It comes in many flavors and would make a big difference for those who didn't like this recipe. Almond, raspberry, cherry and apricot paste are favorites at my house. I also wonder if they used margerine instead of butter which make a big difference. I also did not use the baking powder as I don't want them to rise. I don't lightly dust with powdered sugar-I sift it on heavily as there is little sugar in the recipe. The recipe says it serves 18 but keep it away from the other 17 as you will want them all for yourself."
"Great cookies! I cut the recipe in half and used strawberry and peach preserves. I let the dough chill for an hour before rolling and I used a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 2 inch squares which..." See more worked out perfectly. Parchment paper also came in handy here. I now have a recipe I can use to make these at Christmas."
Sophie's Zucchini Bread
Ice Cream Kolacky
Just swipe to see more like this.