Chocolate Pinwheel Cookies30 Reviews
“Half chocolate, half sugar cookies!” - by B.J. Weems
Original recipe yields 4 - 6 dozen
- Thoroughly cream shortening and sugar and vanilla; blend in egg yolk and 1 tablespoon milk. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half; to one part, add chocolate and 1 tablespoon milk; mix. Chill both doughs 1 1/2 hours.
- On waxed paper, roll each half of dough into 10x12 inch rectangle. Brush chocolate layer with hot milk; place plain layer atop so its far edge extends beyond chocolate edge. Roll as for jelly roll.
- Wrap roll in waxed paper. Chill thoroughly.
- Slice thin. Bake on greased cookie sheet in moderate oven 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 4 to 6 dozen cookies.
Amount Per Serving (72 total)
- 31 cal
- 1.7 g
- 3.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (30)Rate This Recipe
"I read through previous reviews on this recipe before making it, and I decided to make a few alterations. I used butter instead of shortening, one cup of sugar instead of 3/4, and a whole egg and no m..." See moreilk in the batter. Also, I used 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder instead of the chocolate square and milk when making the chocolate dough. The end result was amazing! Although time consuming because of chilling the dough, these were a lot of fun to make and I was very proud of what I ended up with. Friends and family all found them delicious--nice and sweet with a bit of chocolate =)"
"I love these cookies. I used 3 tbsp of cocoa powder instead of the chocolate square to make the chocolate half of the dough. I got 24 good looking cookies but also 6 not nice looking ones because they..." See more were the ones cut from the ends of my roll - so that was expected. These cookies are very impressive looking and have a light chocolate flavor to them."
"Ithought this recipe was great. I reworked it a little and added some 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the chocolate half and rooled out each half to 8x5 instead and I got nice sized cookies that wer..." See moree uniformed. I also agree with the other reviewer, i sliced thinly and got about 2 1/2 dz. Great recipe overall and weell worth the effort."
Chocolate Refrigerator Cookies
Best Ever Chocolate Cutout Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.