Costa Rican Coffee Panna Cotta with Bittersweet Chocolate-Rum Sauce10 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 4 hr 45 min
“This is an easy, creamy custard dessert with Costa Rican flavors: dark brown sugar, rum, coffee, coconut and bittersweet chocolate. Panna cotta is sort of the Italian version of creme brulee.” - by Camilla Saulsbury
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Sprinkle the unflavored gelatin over 1/4 cup of dark rum and allow to soften for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together 1 1/4 cups of whipping cream, brown sugar, and espresso powder in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring until brown sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, then whisk in gelatin mixture until dissolved.
- Whisk in the coconut milk, vanilla extract, and sour cream until smooth. Evenly divide the mixture between eight 3/4 cup custard cups or molds, cover each with plastic wrap, and chill at least 4 hours to overnight.
- Bring 3/4 cup whipping cream and corn syrup to a simmer over medium-high heat. Once simmering, remove from heat, and stir in the chocolate until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of rum and set aside.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of each mold, then set each cup into a shallow bowl of hot water for 10 seconds to loosen. Invert the mold over a serving plate and remove the panna cotta. Spoon chocolate sauce around each panna cotta and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 572 cal
- 43.5 g
- 37.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (10)Rate This Recipe
"I made this recipe twice and I thought the 2nd time was so much better and less bitter. I made the espresso - did not use espresso instant powder and mixed in 1 tablespoon of the espresso in the mixt..." See moreure. In addition, I cut back on the rum b/c I thought it made the custard a little too bitter. I used 1/8c of dark rum. I increased the coconut milk. I used 1 1/8c of coconut milk. Finally, I used Giaradelli bittersweet chocolate chip cookies for the chocolate glaze. Delish!"
"It's a delicious creme brulet with a delicate flavor of coco. Delicious! Better than a classic italian panna cotta. It's good without sauce too. ..." See more"
Ghirardelli Chocolate Mousse
Bittersweet Chocolate and Stout Beer Ice Cream
Just swipe to see more like this.