Pierogi (Polish Dumplings)196 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 min
“This recipe has been a family favorite passed on from generation to generation. We traditionally make these for Christmas, but they can be made for any special event. There's some work involved, but the outcome is rewarding! After the perogies have boiled, they can be fried in some butter and onions or served with sour cream.” - by TAB
Original recipe yields 48 perogies
- To prepare the sauerkraut filling, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the drained sauerkraut and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then remove to a plate to cool.
- For the mashed potato filling, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir into the mashed potatoes, and season with salt and white pepper.
- To make the dough, beat together the eggs and sour cream until smooth. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder; stir into the sour cream mixture until dough comes together. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until firm and smooth. Divide the dough in half, then roll out one half to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into 3 inch rounds using a biscuit cutter.
- Place a small spoonful of the mashed potato filling into the center of each round. Moisten the edges with water, fold over, and press together with a fork to seal. Repeat procedure with the remaining dough and the sauerkraut filling.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add perogies and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until pierogi float to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 253 cal
- 10.6 g
- 33.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (196)Rate This Recipe
"Being Polish, and born in Poland, I have had many pierogi's in my day. After many disappointing pierogi meals, I came across this recipe...and all I can say is YUM! My kids (who do not care for dad's ..." See morefood preferences) inhaled these and asked for more. Great recipe -Dziekujemy! All this talk about Pierogi's is making me hungry."
"My Grandma made the best Pierogi's ever. She took her secrets w/ her to the grave. I never thought that I would ever taste another Pierogi that could rival my Grandmothers, until this recipe! My famil..." See morey loved them and it was worth the time taken to make them. I think this will be one recipe that will be my family's "secret""
Grandma's Polish Perogies
Just swipe to see more like this.