Carry Cake with Strawberries and Whipped Cream16 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 25 min
“This recipe has been in my mother's family for over 100 years. In fact the tube cake pan I use is my grandmother's which she bought in the 1930's. I jazzed it up with the strawberries and whipped cream. My grandkids go crazy of this rendition of strawberry shortcake served with vanilla ice cream.” - by Rick Brown
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch tube pan.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter and milk. Warm until butter has melted, but do not boil. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 2 cups sugar. Stir in the warmed milk and butter and vanilla. Combine the flour and baking soda; stir into the batter just until blended. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the crown of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt. Beat at medium speed until smooth. Pour the heavy cream in a slow steady stream while the mixture is whipping until the mixture has fluffed up and can hold a stiff peak. Don't let it get grainy looking though. Scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula occasionally to remove any lumps.
- Slice the cooled cake horizontally into three layers. Arrange strawberries on the bottom layer with the top ends facing outward. Fill in the remaining space with more berries. Spoon some of the whipped cream over the berries and spread evenly. Place another layer of cake on top and repeat the process. Place the top layer on the cake and cover with the remaining cream. Arrange remaining berries over the cream.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 865 cal
- 54.9 g
- 85.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (16)Rate This Recipe
"The cream filling elevates this dessert to a great level, it goes so well with the strawberries and with coconut also. However, the first time I tried baking the cake, it was overcooked, dry, and bro..." See morewnish after only 45 minutes. Luckily I had enough ingredients left for a second cake, so I tried again and watched it very closely! At 35 minutes, the cake was almost perfectly done, especially when you consider that it will continue to cook a bit longer until removed from the pan. It turned out to be a delicious dessert and we will look forward to having it again."
"This is by far the best strawberry short cake I have ever had. i made it for my sisters birthday, i jazzed it up a bit with some champange graps and blueberries on top, everyone loved it. Thanks for ..." See moresharing this mouth watering recipe."
"I ran out of time to bake the scratch cake in this recipe so I made a marble cake (2 - 8" rounds) from a box. But this frosting is AWESOME!! I used my stand mixer and modified the recipe to use only..." See more 8 oz of room temp low-fat cream cheese, 1/2 tsp Watkins double strength vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond extract -- and I forgot the salt (oops)! The whole thing came together in less than one minute -- it was amazing! Instead of having a "torte" with multiple layers frosted only in-between, I laid down a thin layer of the frosting on the 1st layer of cake with my silicone spatula, arranged split strawberries on it and then covered it with another thin layer of frosting. Then I topped with my 2nd layer of marble cake and frosted the whole thing, top and sides -- I used the spatula for the whole operation, it's a very forgiving frosting. Add a few strawberries on top and VOILA! Guests said it was the best cake they'd ever eaten and most zeroed right in on this frosting! I was amazed at how well this cake/frosting held up to room temperature, not like a whipped cream frosting normally would. This will now be a family standard -- easy, quick and absolutely yummy! Thanks for the recipe!"
Meringue Cake with Whipped Cream and Raspberries
Sturdy Whipped Cream Frosting
Just swipe to see more like this.