Mostaccioli for Basilica1 Reviews
“Prepare a week in advance so that they will absorb a little moisture. Do not over bake. Watch for the first signs of the dough becoming dull-finished: this signifies that the liquid that made it shiny during the beginning of the baking has evaporated.” - by PEGW
Original recipe yields 24 cookies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the cocoa powder through a fine strainer to eliminate lumps. Combine it with the flour, white sugar, ground almonds, cinnamon, cloves and baking soda.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the honey and 1/4 cup of the water. Stir until a smooth, sticky dough forms. Allow to stand for 1 minute to absorb the liquid.
- Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface and pat it into a 6X12 inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Flour the dough lightly and roll over it once or twice with a rolling pin to even it out. Cut the dough into 1 1/2 inch strips, then cut the strips diagonally to make diamond shapes and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Remove from pan to cool.
- To Make The Icing: Mix the confectioners' sugar with the remaining 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Brush over the cooled cookies. The icing will crystallize and harden as it dries.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 200 cal
- 6.6 g
- 35.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"Finally! I have been searching for this recipe for years! My Aunt goes to Italy every year and brings these back for me because I love them so much. They are chocolately and spicey and keep for qu..." See moreite a while and the older they get the better they taste! Perfect for Christmas cookies. The kind I get normally have a chocolate icing, but this one is good too. The only recommendation I have it to refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes before rolling it out to make the process easier."
Italian Almond Cookies II
Just swipe to see more like this.