Poppy Seed Cookies II1 Reviews
“I always make these with orange peel, but lemon peel works just as well for all you lemon lovers out there.” - by J. Storm
Original recipe yields 4 dozen
- Combine the butter, sugar, egg yolks, lemon or orange zest, nutmeg and salt. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, then add it and the poppy seeds to the butter mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Form each piece into a 2 inch diameter cylinder and wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. At this point you can freeze the dough for later use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cut dough cylinders into 1/4 inch thick slices and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 9 minutes. Let cookies cool on sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool. Once cool, store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 158 cal
- 8.5 g
- 19.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"I made these over the Christmas Holidays and they were very good. I tried the recipe with both lemon and orange peel, and they were equally good.*Add more peel if you want more lemon flavour - I did! ..." See moreFor a variation, I rolled the cooled dough into balls and pressed them down with a glass dipped in sugar. I think it made them extra special, and added a nice sweet crunch."
Poppy Seed Cookies III
Moist Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.