Oatmeal Carmelitas250 Reviews
“Chewy gooey caramel, nuts and chocolate. We call them Goober Cookies. They taste great the next day if you get them to last that long.” - by Sharon M.
Original recipe yields 3 dozen small bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x9 inch square pan.
- Combine the 1 cup flour, baking soda, oats, brown sugar, salt and melted butter. Mix to combine, mixture will be very crumbly. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly then sprinkle over the crust the chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Mix the caramel ice cream topping with the 3 tablespoons of flour and drizzle over the chocolate chips. Top with the remaining oatmeal mixture. You will need to break it into small pieces to cover.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Let bars cool before cutting.
Amount Per Serving (36 total)
- 125 cal
- 6.5 g
- 16.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (250)Rate This Recipe
"This is a very good cookie bar recipe. Adults and children seem to like it equally well..... Good as written, but a couple of clarifications on the recipe to make this better: First, the crust turn..." See mores out better if the butter is softened to the point of melting, but hasn't actually turned to liquid. Second: Press down on the bottom filling lightly; DO NOT tap down hard as you won't be able to get it out of the pan. Third: You must use quick oates NOT rolled oats on this recipe. Helpful hints ~ First: For a change of pace, try half butterscotch and half chocolate chips or 1/2 caramel and 1/2 butterscotch topping for variety. Second: Slightly chill the carmelitas after they have finished baking. This helps the cooke bar "set-up". This is the one tip you don't want to forget on this recipe..... The carmelitas are great to make ahead, travel with or freeze to serve later. As my son would say: Scrumdiddlyumptios! Enjoy!"
"I used a recipe just like this only it was doubled for a 13x9" pan. The chocolate chips stay the same at 1 cup and 1/2 cup nuts, if using. The caramel icecream topping is 1 cup - flour is the same. ..." See more You cook the final product 18-22 minutes - it took 22 minutes in my oven to produce a golden brown topping. Also - a good TIP is that if you refrigerate the carmelitas 1-2 hours before cutting (this helps the filling set up), they will not be crumbly and will cut perfectly. Plus - DON'T MELT THE BUTTER in the crust ingredients - just soften the butter (unsalted) to room temp. You will get a much nicer crumb topping this way. These bars are just wonderful! Another recipe I saw for these used 3-4 chopped Granny Smith apples mixed with 1 tsp. cinnamon for the "filling" instead of the choc.chips/nuts - I'll bet that would be fantastic, too. I'm going to try that combination next. "
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies III
Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
Just swipe to see more like this.