“This is my grandmother's recipe. I hope that you enjoy it!” - by SHARONA669
Original recipe yields 3 dozen
- In a large bowl mix together all ingredients. Stir into a ball, then turn dough out onto a floured surface . Knead dough for 1/2 hour. If you have a mixer with a dough hook attachment, mix for about 15 minutes.
- Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into strips that are 3 inches long and 1 inch wide. In the center of each strip, cut a 1 inch slit, lengthwise. Pull one end of the strip through the slit to form a bow.
- In a frying pan or an electric skillet, melt shortening and heat to about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). in a frying pan this would be on medium high heat.
- Place cookies in hot oil. Cook on both sides until lightly browned then remove to a paper towel.
- Dust finished cookies with confectioners sugar.
Amount Per Serving (18 total)
- 504 cal
- 31.5 g
- 46.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"These are fantastic cookies. Light and airy with the powdered suger dusting make them irresistible. You can't eat just one! I made these with my mother when I was growing up and were always a special..." See more treat. The recipe was lost in a fire and I have looked everywhere for another. You cant imagine how excited I am to have found this one."
"Wonderful! I've been trying to find the recipe most like my Baba's because I left mine with my brother. We don't use alcohol in ours, either. I'm allergic to alcohol, so it was very important to find ..." See morea recipe that doesn't use rum or whiskey. Thank you so much for sharing this!"
"I was excited by this recipe, but unfortunately it was very bland and I had a really hard time cooking the dough all the way through in the oil. Also, make sure in the first step where it says 'Combin..." See moree all ingredients', do not include the shortening! This was tricky. Also, maybe I am inept, but I couldn't make anything that looked like a 'bow' from the strips that I cut. All-around awkward."
Just swipe to see more like this.