Swedish Dream Cookies7 Reviews
“Delicate melt in your mouth almond coconut cookie. Baker's ammonia (ammonium bicarbonate) is also known as hartshorn. It is an old form of leaving that was mainly used before the arrival of baking powder. During baking it releases an unpleasant odor, that does not affect the taste of the cookies. It can be found in drugstores and some specialty baking stores” - by M Ann
Original recipe yields 8 dozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and butter. Gradually add sugar and almond extract. Mix on high speed for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the baker's ammonia with the boiling water, adding the water a little at a time. Add this to the butter mixture.
- Stir in the flour and coconut . Mix well.
- Drop cookies from a teaspoon onto a well greased cookie sheet. Bake cookies in preheated oven for 9 to 11 minutes. Cookies should be set but not brown. Let cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before removing.
Amount Per Serving (48 total)
- 140 cal
- 8.6 g
- 15.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"I had the opportunity to find out exactly what hartshorn does for a recipe, since I accidentally forgot to bring it with me to the beach, where I first tried this recipe. The results of that batch we..." See morere okay--others liked them--but to me they were heavy and dull. When I returned home and could actually use the hartshorn I'd bought for this recipe: oh, wow!!! This recipe--plus the hartshorn--is a holy grail for me. The texture is substantial but has a light, clean, dry crunch that I now know is characteristic of hartshorn. Do go to the trouble of finding some for these cookies; it's definitely worth it!"
"If you cannot find baker's ammonia (hartshorn) locally you can purchase it through the King Arthur Flour website (kingarthurflour.com). It does make a difference especially in the crispness of the co..." See moreokies it is used in and worth trying to find as the other review has said. Yummy!"
Swedish Angel Crisps
Just swipe to see more like this.