Venison and Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash15 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“These acorn squash are stuffed with great Northwoods flavors!” - by Aaron
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bring rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place squash, cut-side down onto a deep baking dish filled with 1/2-inch of water. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, then drain water and set aside.
- Bring some water to a boil in a saucepan, then remove from the heat. Add the cranberries and let stand for 5 minutes, then drain and reserve. Cook the ground venison in a skillet over medium-high heat until thoroughly cooked and crumbly.
- Stir together the wild rice, cranberries, venison, and brown sugar. Season with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Turn the oven on to Broil. Rub the inside of the squash halves with the butter, then place cut-side up on the baking dish. Stuff with the rice mixture, then broil in the oven for 5 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 367 cal
- 13.1 g
- 51.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (15)Rate This Recipe
"I submitted this recipe and wanted to make it according to the directions allrecipes used. They changed a few things. The recipe is still good. It doesn't need anywhere near that much butter though..." See more. I melted a quarter cup of butter and put it in the halves of the squash and then added the rice/venison mixture. After I took the squash out from under the broiler and cut the halves in half, butter just ran out. I don't believe it was necessary to add that at all. Secondly, there is about twice as much venison/rice mixture than is needed for one acorn squash. This isn't too much of a problem though as I am more than happy to just eat that on its own. So four stars because of the unnecessary butter. Otherwise I hope you enjoy the recipe."
"Beautiful dish, and open for creativity! I used two squash, venison sausage, and dried cranberries. When browning the sausage I added some diced onion and celery. I too cut back on the brown sugar ..." See moreand butter. This was fabulous!"
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Curried Wild Rice and Squash Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.