Tomato and Garlic Pasta82 Reviews
“There is nothing nicer than the flavor of fresh tomatoes. You can use canned, but the trouble you take to prepare this dish is worth it. You prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking, no long hours of waiting. Great if you want meatless pasta.” - by ALMA-LOU
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place tomatoes in a kettle, and cover with cold water. Bring just to the boil. Pour off water, and cover again with cold water. Peel. Cut into small pieces.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- In a large skillet or saute pan, saute the garlic in enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. The garlic should just become opaque, not brown. Stir in the tomato paste. Immediately stir in the tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer until the pasta is ready; add the basil.
- Drain the pasta, but do not rinse in cold water. Toss with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, and then mix into the sauce. Reduce the heat as low as possible. Keep warm, uncovered, for about 10 minutes when it is ready to serve. Garnish generously with fresh Parmesan cheese.
- VARIATIONS: Saute fresh quartered mushrooms with the garlic, or add shoestring zucchini along with the tomato.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 260 cal
- 6.8 g
- 41.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (82)Rate This Recipe
"This is probably one of my favorite recipes from this site! I have made it more times than I can count. You really want to use quality ingredients for this. Use fresh, red, ripe tomatoes, as the flavo..." See morer is just something you can't get out of a can. Use a good olive oil. Fresh garlic. I always use dried basil but I'm sure fresh basil would be great too. I also sometimes splash in just a little bit of sweet balsamic vinegar (about 1/2 - 3/4 tablespoon). It really gives this dish a unique flavor. I absolutely love this one. It is so light and delicious. Thanks so much. :)"
"I just made this and had to rate it right away. This is fantastic! I didn't have any parm on hand so i omitted it. i was concerned that w/o the cheese it would be lacking in flavor, but it is not a..." See moret all. I was looking for a recipe to duplicate something that i had at a restaurant and this matches it exactly. (of course at the restaurant it cost $18 rather than the $3 to make it myself!)"
"I'm not sure why the tomatoes are boiled in the first stage. If it is to peel them - cut a cross on the bottoms and place in a bowl of boiled water and leave for 1/2 a minute or so. Pick up with a f..." See moreork and peel the skins off easily. Otherwise it is a reasonably tasty spaghetti - needs a little more flavour though. "
Homemade Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
Garlic Roasted Tomato Spread
Just swipe to see more like this.