Veggie Lasagna Florentine120 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr 25 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“This is a recipe I created for my vegetarian sister-in-law after she ran the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington, DC. I was not able to be there to cheer her on so I sent this dish. It is actually better the next day but I have never been able to keep my family out of it once they smell the aroma!” - by Denise Smith
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Cook lasagna noodles in a large pot of lightly salted, boiling water for 10 minutes, or until al dente. Rinse with cool water, drain, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chopped onions, mushrooms, garlic, and zucchini in the oil until soft. Stir in both cans of crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, brown sugar, and salt to taste. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, microwave frozen spinach until cooked. Cool, and then squeeze out excess water. Drain cottage cheese. Using a mixer, blend spinach, cottage cheese, eggs, and 2 tablespoons basil until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine shredded mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread 1 cup sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer 1/3 of the noodles, 1/3 cottage cheese/spinach mixture, 1/3 of remaining sauce, and 1/3 cheese mixture. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients. Sprinkle top with remaining 1 tablespoon of dried basil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 375 cal
- 11.2 g
- 47.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (120)Rate This Recipe
"Oh yes! This one tasted great and we just loved all the veggies! Do be aware, though, that it will take MUCH longer than 20 minutes for the prep time. I made the sauce one evening and then refriger..." See moreated it. The next evening, I assembled the lasagna and refrigerated that. The third day I finally baked the lasagna. I simply didn't have all of that time in one block to do the whole thing. The homemade sauce was great and fully worth that amount of chopping and cooking time. I made these changes: 1) just spray a little olive oil on the pan instead of using a whole 2 Tbsp. 2) used 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms instead of the canned. 3) omitted the brown sugar. 4) added about 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes to the sauce. 5) used 16 oz of ricotta instead of cottage cheese. 6) DIDN'T BOIL THE LASAGNA NOODLES! This was definitely a hit! By the way, if you've never made lasagna using the no-boil method, you really should give it a try. Such a time saver and then you don't end up with wiggly, slippery, tearing wet noodles to handle. Just make sure they are layered next to one of the wet ingredients (mine were right on top of the sauce layer) and they are perfect when the baking is done."
"I really found all the other reviews of this fantastic recipe really helpful in adapting it to the way we like to eat. Some advice ... 1) Triple the amount of garlic. Come on, let's live a little...." See more My guests loved that this was so flavorful. 2) Use fresh spinach and fresh mushrooms. I steamed the spinach with a little salt and it worked out fabulous 3) I used a can and a half of crushed tomatoes. Several of the other reviews advised using only one which is up to you. 4) I used lowfat ricotta instead of cottage cheese - much better, Finally, I sprinkled a little olive oil on the top of the lasagne, and I got this wonderful crust. Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts."
"I have been looking for a good vegetable lazagna recipe for a long time, and this one was great. The homemade red sauce is a little time consuming but definately worth it. I added an additional 2T o..." See moref garlic, 2T of itilian seasoning, and 1T of onion powder to give it more flavor. I also used low fat cottage cheese and whole wheat noodles to make it even healthier. In order to prevent it from being runny I only partially cooked the noodles so they absorbed the additional fluid while cooking. My husband and his friends loved it, they didn't mind that it was meatless."
Artichoke Spinach Lasagna
Just swipe to see more like this.