Apple Crunch Pie I88 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“This pie has a delicious sweet crumb topping with a tart, but sweet, apple filling. Eat straight or ala' mode.” - by Lisa McCovey
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch deep dish pie
- Place rack in lowest position in oven. Heat oven to 450 degrees F ( 230 degrees C).
- To Make Topping: Mix 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; cut in butter or margarine until mixture is moist and crumbly, and clumps together easily.
- To Make Filling: Peel, core, and slice apples into approximately 1/8 inch slices. If you cut them too thick you'll have crunchy apples. In another bowl, toss cut up apples, white sugar, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle in flour, and stir until apples are evenly coated.
- Layer apple slices in pie shell. You will have a lot of apples, but they will shrink. Layer them higher in the middle. Pour left over juice from apple mixture over apples. Pat the brown sugar topping evenly over apples to make a top crust.
- Place pie on cookie sheet in oven to catch juice droppings. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake for 45 minutes to one hour; bake until center of pie has no resistance. If top starts to get too dark, cover with piece of foil. Cool on wire rack before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 490 cal
- 19.2 g
- 79.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (88)Rate This Recipe
"My best friend introduced me to this pie when he entered it - and WON - a company-wide baking competition! It was sooo delicious that at least 20 people begged him for the recipe. Since then I've been..." See more hooked! I make it whenever I have company, serving it hot out of the oven with a dollop of vanilla bean ice cream! I am always flustered by the overwhelming compliments. Warning, though: this pie is messy - don't expect a clean slice!!!! Also, I usually end up filling 2 pie crusts with the filling (it makes a LOT) then double the topping recipe. DEEEEE-LISH!!!!"
"Finally, an apple pie recipe I can give five stars to! I've made this three times now, tweaking it a bit each time and this last time was the best. Notes: 5 and a half granny smiths instead of 7 ..." See moreokay. May want to lower tartness by using a couple apples of a different type. Add 1/3 cup brown sugar in the filling along with the 1/2 cup white sugar. Add 1/8 tsp allspice, 1/16 tsp ground cloves. Cut apples really thin and spiral when laying it out in pan. Crumb topping is a bit powdery, needs work... turns out crispy and sweet which works well with the tartness of the apples. May lower heat a bit since topping was dark. Didn't affect taste, just the look. "
"I have made this pie twice now, and both times it came out fantastic. The first time I did not use all of the topping, nor did I pat it down, thus, it created a wonderfully crumbley texture for the t..." See moreop. The second time I patted it down and it made more like a crust. Both are great, just different effects. Everyone raved."
Apple Crumb Pie
Emily's Famous Apple Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.