Meat Pie (Tourtiere)105 Reviews
“French Canadian Tourtiere. Contains pork, potatoes, onions and spices.” - by Maggie Rogers
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch deep dish pie
- Bake the potato until done, 30 - 45 minutes in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven. Peel and mash the potato.
- Place the potato, ground pork, onion, spices and water in a large frying pan and simmer until very thick, for about one hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare your pastry.
- Line a deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Spoon in filling, spreading evenly. Cover with top crust.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Cut steam vent. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). If edges brown too fast, cover with a strip of foil. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 485 cal
- 32 g
- 30.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (105)Rate This Recipe
"I am french canadian and meat pie has been a family tradition for years, made by my Memere's, but is a long lost art as we have americanized our traditions. I made it this thanksgiving with the help o..." See moref my Aunt and she says leave out the cinnamon but use more allspice in it's place, do not add water, and add the potato after you cook the meat, little by little until you feel it is perfect for you. I did 2 pies, one this one way and one her way, and she was right. But both were very tasty and did not last the night. Will definetly be making again for Christmas Eve. Thanks! UPDATE: TO THE REVIEW WHO'S PIE HAD CHUNKS OF POTATO, SAVE ONE POTATO FOR DICIING BUT USE THE REMAINING POTATOES FOR MASHING INTO THE MEAT. THE POTATOS IS THE TRICK FOR KEEPING THE MEAT FROM BEING CRUMBLY..UPDATE #2, USE HALF PORK, HALF GROUND BEEF. YUMMY!"
"This is an excellent tourtiere recipe. I have been making tourtieres for 46 years and this is great. I have always added some garlic and I don't think the egg and paprika are necessary because the f..." See moreat in the pork makes the crust brown. I make these pies in batches of 3 or more. Wrap well and freeze. When needed unwrap and bake unfrozen at 400 F for 30 minutes. My mistake I reheat it from the frozen state ---so it is very handy for a quick meal."
"I cooked the potato in the microwave to save time. I also used Pillsbury pie crusts. I cooked the pork, then added the other ingredients until well mixed. I didn't simmer it for 1 hour and it turned o..." See moreut great. I would make this again. My husband and 12 year old son loved it. Great flavor."
French Canadian Tourtiere
Tasty Meat Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.