Three Berry Pie264 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 3 hr
“In this recipe you can use blackberries instead of raspberries. Frozen fruit may be used instead of fresh.” - by Jenn Hall
Original recipe yields 1 9-inch pie
- Combine the flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until the pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture, then gently toss with a fork. Push moistened portion to the side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until all is moistened. Divide the dough in half. Form each half into a ball and flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer one piece of dough to a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough from the center to the edges to form a 12-inch circle. Wrap the crust around the rolling pin. Unroll it onto a 9-inch pie plate. Ease the crust into the pie plate, being careful not to stretch it. Trim the bottom crust evenly with the rim of the pie plate, and return the pastry-lined pie plate to the refrigerator.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Add the strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries; gently toss until berries are coated. Allow fruit mixture to stand for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place a baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- Roll out the remaining pastry for the top crust. Stir the berry mixture and pour the filling into the pastry-lined pie plate. Place the top crust over the pie and trim the edges, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold the top crust under the bottom crust, pressing lightly to seal. Crimp the edges of the crust and cut vents in the top to allow steam to escape. To prevent over-browning, cover the edge of the pie with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven on the baking tray for 25 minutes. Remove the foil.
- Bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 361 cal
- 17.7 g
- 48 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (264)Rate This Recipe
"I used strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. The only other change was to use 1/4 cup corn starch instead of 3 tbs. I love the pie, but it is too runny and the consistency of the..." See more filling made the bottom crust too soggy. I just made a Strawberry-Rhubarb pie that is very similar, but called for a portion of the sugar-flour mixture to be layered onto the bottom crust before adding the fruit, and I would definitely follow that advice for this pie as well. Other than that, it tastes delicious!"
"This recipe was a major success! I used 3/4 cup sugar/cinnamon mix instead. As recommended, I put another tbsp cornstarch in the mix and also some cornstarch/sugar on the pie crust bottom before putti..." See moreng in the mix. For the berries: 1 1/2 cups strawberries, 1 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 cup raspberries, 1 cup blackberries. The top crust I coated with egg wash and then sprinkled with some sugar/cinnamon mix. Rave reviews, and devoured!"
"DELICIOUS!!!!! ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! I used this recipe as a base and then altered it to my taste: I used all frozen fruit(strawberries, raspberries, & blackberies) and let them thaw for 30 min befor..." See moree using. I increased the sugar to 2/3 cup and the cornstarch to 1/4 cup. I added 2-3 tbs of lemon juice for tartness as well plus a little sprinkled cinnamon too. When placing the crust in the pan I suggest flouring the pan first to prevent sticking and also dusting a bit of the sugar/cornstarch mix in the pie crust before you add the fruit so the bottom crust doesnt get soggy. I cut a lattice top with the 2nd crust and brushed it with an egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1/4 cup cold water) right before baking. Baked for 20 min, then covered edges with foil to prevent burning, and baked until golden brown (30-40 min) THE BEST PIE EVER!!! There were NO leftovers! and by baking the whole thing in a disposable pie pan on top of a foil lined cookie sheet there were also no dishes!!!! "
Berry Rhubarb Pie
Mixed Berry Pie with Honey Whole Wheat Crust
Just swipe to see more like this.