“Traditional French-Canadian Meat Pie. Generally served at Christmas, but great anytime.” - by Jean
Original recipe yields 1 -9 inch pie
- In a Dutch oven, brown ground veal, pork, and bacon. Drain off fat.
- Stir in onion, celery, garlic, sage, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1 cup of the water, and bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or till onion is tender. Stir frequently.
- Combine cornstarch and the remaining 1/4 cup water. Add to hot meat and vegetable mixture, cooking and stirring till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove pan from heat, and cool slightly.
- Fill pastry shell with meat and vegetable mixture. Roll out top crust on top, seal the edges, and put patterned slits in top crust.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand about 15 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 515 cal
- 37.2 g
- 24.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (13)Rate This Recipe
"Excellent! I have tried many tourtiere recipies and having a French family, this was one of the most savory flavoured. It is quite a compliment when they keep coming back for seconds. The sage and ..." See morebacon gives this one a great touch. I find the clove spice in other pies, just too strong and over-powering. Great job Jean!!!"
"Adding bacon makes this tourtiere a little different from the rest. Tasty and delicious!..." See more"
"Absolutely delicious. I had half a pound of ground veal left after making meatloaf and decided to try out this recipe. Wow. Because this is a rather simplistic dish (a basic meat pie), using qualit..." See morey ingredients is crucial. With the ingredients called for it's a definite 5-star recipe. If you're tempted to omit the veal or pork and use ground beef instead, don't! It WILL fall flat. So, do yourself a flavor (ha ha) and make sure to use the meats and spices called for. I'm sure you will be impressed."
French Canadian Tourtiere
Just swipe to see more like this.