Lemon Sponge Pie I42 Reviews
“Light, lemony pie. Perfect for spring!” - by Kitty
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat the egg yolks, flour, salt, milk, grated zest, and lemon juice into the creamed mixture.
- In a clean bowl and with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold the egg whites into the filling. Pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), and bake for an additional 45 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 340 cal
- 14.8 g
- 47.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (42)Rate This Recipe
"Wow! This is excellent. Didn't know what to expect, but I wanted something lemony that wasn't Lemon Meringue, and this was perfect. Followed the recipe exactly, except I used a reduced fat pre-made..." See more graham cracker crust. With this substitute, the pie was practically guilt-free, and certainly worth every bite--YUM! Between three people, the pie was gone in less than 40 minutes! The pie crust wasn't a deep dish, so I had some filling left over--baked it in ramekins along w/ the pie in the same oven and for the same amount of time. UPDATE: Made this last night, only used 1 c. of sugar, and increased the lemon juice to 1/2 c.--I LOVE lemon, and this small change made it healthier and even tastier too! You can also make this with no crust, in a pie plate w/ some no-stick spray, or in little individual ramekins...the baking time and temp. is still the same. Without the crust, it's less than 150 calories per serving and has only 2 grams of fat, but still has a deliciously decadent taste:)"
"This is the BEST pie recipe. I've been meaning to make a lemon sponge pie ever since I first tried one at a Pennsylvanian Dutch restaurant. The one there was heavenly, and this one is just as good. ..." See more I haven't made a lot of pies, but this recipe is simple and produces great results. I made it for Thanksgiving and everyone raved about it. I even had to make another one the day after because of the demand. The pie comes out spongy on top and custardy on bottom and VERY lemony. A must for the holidays or any occasion. I used a standard pie pan (9")but I had a lot of leftover filling, so for my second pie I used a larger, deep dish pie pan (10" with a 2" depth) which was just right."
Sour Cream Lemon Pie
Old Fashioned Lemon Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.