Chinese Pot Roast48 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 3 hr
- Ready In: 3 hr 15 min
“A tender, well flavored change up from your usual pot roast. My Mother always made it for my birthday dinner, as it was my favorite! Serve the roast, and white or brown rice.” - by JDONNELLON
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Coat the chuck roast with garlic salt, pepper and mustard powder. Heat the oil in a large oven-proof skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the roast and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 3 cups of water, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, ginger and celery seed. Pour over the roast and then cover the roast tightly with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the roast is very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- When the roast is done, remove it from the pan to a serving plate. Set the pan of drippings over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Stir together cornstarch and 1/4 cup of cold water. Pour into the boiling liquid and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Serve the roast with the gravy poured over.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 432 cal
- 20 g
- 18 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (48)Rate This Recipe
"Absolutely DELICIOUS! We loved this! Did it in the crock pot instead of the oven and I almost couldn't take it out because it was so tender and falling apart! A+++++..." See more"
"great way to dress up a chuck roast. I added two cloves garlic minced to liquid and omitted garlic salt. I also added some roasted bell pepper. I will definately make this again...." See more"
"This recipe was awesome. I made it for my Asian mother, who can be a tough critic when it comes to other people's cooking; she liked it so much that she actually suggested I make it again a week later..." See more when my siblings were coming to visit. I made it three times in one week and didn't even get tired of it. It is sooo delicious. I added a little bit of sriracha to one batch to give it a little heat--it was excellent. My husband ate some of the shredded meat on tortillas with molcajete salsa--I didn't think the flavor combo would work at first, but boy was I wrong. This meat made for excellent burritos. The flavor was so good that when chuck roasts went on sale at the local market, we stocked the freezer so that we would be able to make this roast any time."
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Simon and Garfunkel Pot Roast
Just swipe to see more like this.