Green Tomato Mincemeat Fried Pies3 Reviews
“Mincemeat filling made from the early season OR late season green tomatoes. This filling may be used with any fried pie recipe.” - by Jerry Bledsoe
Original recipe yields 24 individual pies
- Chop the tomatoes very coarsely. Place tomatoes in a colander and drain, by pressing with your hand, all the tomato juice possible. Put the tomatoes in a large sauce pan with 1 cup of water, heat to boil, drain well.
- Put the tomatoes back in the sauce pan with 1 cup of water, heat to boil, drain again.
- Now, put the tomatoes back in the sauce pan with one cup of water, apples, raisins, brown sugar, 3 1/2 teaspoons salt, vinegar and 1/2 cup shortening. cook slowly until transparent.(30 min.)Stir often.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, lemon rind and juice.
- For the Pastry: In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt and shortening. Add ice water,1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough barely holds together.
- Roll dough out to 1/8 inch thick on floured surface. Cut a 5 inch circle, place a large spoonful of filling on one half of the circle. Fold over and seal the edges by pressing them with a fork. Continue until all dough is used.
- In a large skillet, Heat shortening to 360 degrees F (182 degrees C). place 4 pies in the hot shortening at a time. Fry until golden-brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 383 cal
- 10.5 g
- 74.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"This made about 18 delicious little pies. You MUST seed the tomatoes, and strain off as much of the filling's liquid as possible (I used several layerings of cheese cloth), and cook down quite a bit l..." See moreonger than recipe suggests. 30-40 mins on a low setting should do it. It should be a total mush. Before filling the pies, brush each inside with olive oil. The salt in this recipe can be reduced, as can the amount of vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar, not white, as it has more flavor). You can also use a 13 x 9-in. jelly roll pan and roll out two rectangles of dough (top and bottom), spread a 3/4" layer of the tomato mixture, leaving a 1 inch margin around the sides of pie. Brush the edge with egg white, top with second layer of dough, and crimp around the edges. Brush with egg white, pierce with fork several times to vent, and bake in med-high oven until crust is golden brown and inside bubbles up through air holes. This is a savory/sweet dish, and is really good served with jalepeno jelly."
"i really thought that this recipe was horrific the worst thing i have ever tasted..." See more"
Green Tomato Cake
Green Tomato Pie III
Just swipe to see more like this.