Canadian Butter Tarts37 Reviews
“This recipe is adapted by Valerie Hatfield-Ringrose from the best of several recipes, plus her own additions. It has been made and perfected many times over the years. The tarts are the classic runny type, one of the few true Canadian concoctions.” - by Valerie Hatfield-Ringrose
Original recipe yields 12 tarts
- Fill a cup with ice and water. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Cut in the shortening to make pea-size pieces. Add the tablespoons of ice water from the cup until dough holds together. Form the dough into a ball. The dough is now complete. Put it into a plastic bag or wrap it up and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of waxed paper. Cut the shells using a large glass or your smallest pot. You should have about 12 shells when finished. Put these shells into a greased muffin or tart pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Put walnuts and coconut on baking pan and roast for 5-10 minutes, until brown. Remove from oven and set temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Fill the bottom of each tart shell with about 10 raisins each.
- Whisk together sugar, egg, butter, vanilla and hot water. Add coconut and walnuts. Pour mixture into tart shells, filling 2/3 full and no more.
- Bake in 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before attempting to remove. Makes 12 tarts.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 371 cal
- 22.3 g
- 41 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (37)Rate This Recipe
"My man thought these were excellent and I am proud they are Canadian! The toasted coconut and walnuts add a nice flavor and the pastry was flaky and perfect. I LOVE butter tarts. Definately give thi..." See mores one a try! Update: Cdnshaz...try adding another egg and leave out the hot water or mix the filling in a saucepan over low-med heat to the consistency you want. Holly...you must have over cooked these tarts or over worked your pastry. I think this recipie is perfect as written."
Butter Tarts II
Just swipe to see more like this.