Hunter's Venison Casserole14 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“This delicious, one-dish meal was designed to be most flavorful when made with ground venison, but it's also fabulous when made with other big game or even ground beef.” - by MamaK
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spread mashed potatoes evenly in a 2-quart casserole dish; set aside. Brown the venison in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crumbly and no longer pink, set aside.
- Heat the canola oil in the skillet, then stir in the red onion, garlic, celery, and red bell pepper. Cook until the onion has softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in cooked venison, and season with Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Spoon mixture onto potatoes in the casserole dish.
- Stir together eggs and cottage cheese in a small bowl; spread evenly over meat mixture. Top with tomato slices, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven until set, about 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 547 cal
- 26.5 g
- 28.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (14)Rate This Recipe
"Excellent recipe, although I had my doubts about mashed potatoes on the bottom. I used ground elk sausage for the meat. Didn't plan ahead too well before I thawed out the elk, though. I was low on cot..." See moretage cheese, so used half cottage cheese and half sour cream. It had to cook a little longer than suggested, but it worked fine. Also was out of tomatoes, so I scattered a handful of halved grape tomatoes on top. I'll admit the meal looks kind of gloppy when served out onto the plate, but it was certainly yummy. Both my teen-aged kids gave it a thumbs up, too!"
"This was awesome! My husband is very picky with how his deer meat is cooked but he loved this. I used sour cream instead of cottage cheese made it a little more runny but it was still excellent. I ..." See morealso added some seasonings to the meat such as liquid smoke...gave it a more smoked flavor! Overall a phenomenal meal and fairly quick to make"
"A friend just gave us 10 lbs of ground venison, so I decided to start the cooking mission with this recipe. Two thumbs up :) we thought it was fabulous! I thought the cottage cheese wouldn't really "..." See morego" with venison, but was great additional layer of yum. Will definitely make again."
Savory Venison Meatloaf
Hearty Venison and Vegetable Bake
Just swipe to see more like this.