Oxtail Soup I3 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 3 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 30 min
“A hearty, full-bodied soup - somewhat different than most oxtail soups.” - by Milarie Rude
Original recipe yields 6 - 8 servings
- Rehydrate dried mushrooms in hot water for 30 to 45 minutes. Drain, and slice.
- Trim all fat off oxtails. Spread on a shallow roasting pan. Roast at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Drain off fat, reserving about 2 tablespoons.
- Add 1 cup of water to roasting pan in which oxtails were browned. Heat, stirring constantly, to dissolve browned bit. Reserve.
- In a large stock pot, saute onion, carrots, parsnip, mushrooms and turnip in reserved fat until soft, about 10 minutes. Add browned oxtails. Drizzle brandy over the saute. Ignite.
- Pour reserved water and browning over the oxtails and vegetables. Add remaining 5 cups of water. Add savory, bay leaf, barley, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil, and then reduce heat. Cover, and simmer slowly for 2 hours. Adjust seasonings.
Amount Per Serving (7 total)
- 588 cal
- 26.8 g
- 22 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"Robust flavor and it got better as a left over reheated. A very satisfying "comfort food" on dreary winter days...." See more"
"Very disappointing. You can't roast meat at 450 deg F without filling the house with smoke. The resultant soup had an unusual, less than inviting taste...." See more"
Sweet Russian Cabbage Soup
Hamburger Rice Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.