Provincial Beef Stew2 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 2 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 35 min
“A hardy stew with plenty of vegetables and a subtle orange twist. Great on a cold winter day.” - by Thalie Klein
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Dredge meat lightly with flour. In a large skillet, heat half the oil over medium-high heat. Cook meat in batches, adding more oil as needed, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole.
- Drain most of the oil from skillet. Saute garlic and thyme for 1 to 2 minutes, or until garlic is softened. Pour in tomatoes, stock, and vinegar, stirring to scrape up brown bits and mashing tomatoes with fork. Bring to boil, then pour over meat. Add orange juice, bay leaves, orange rind, and pepper. Cover casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.
- Stir in carrots, mushrooms, and onions. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Stir in pasta, and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Remove casserole from the oven, and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves and orange rinds. Serve.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 548 cal
- 32.7 g
- 32.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"I have made this stew twice now, and both times it was a hit! The first time I made it we had surprise company and I was nervous about serving something I had never made before, but NO PROBLEM! Everyo..." See morene loved it."
"This recipe is quite good, given a few of the ingredients may seem odd in a stew. I halved the servings. I also had to change or adjust ingredients based on what I had on hand and for taste. I still u..." See moresed the original amount of garlic called for and pizza spice instead of thyme (didn't have any). Instead of waiting to mash the diced tomatoes in the stew I tossed them into the food processor to do the work for me. Didn't have any beef broth or bouillon cubes so I decided to use a sachet of onion roasted garlic soup mix with water to substitute the amount of liquid required. Just used regular vinegar as I never have the red wine variety- Would have been good to use balsamic if I'd had some though. For the orange juice I simply pureed the orange I took the peel from and dumped it in- Was definitely more than 1/4 cup. Used two cups of rotini pasta. It needed additional liquid so I added water as necessary. Made the rest of the recipe as-is, except I mixed everything together before putting it in the baking dish. Stirred it halfway through cooking. I'd probably use yellow onions diced and sauteed with the garlic and thyme next time as I don't think it would take away too much from the dish. Served with "Beer Muffins" from AR."
Beef, Green Chili and Tomato Stew
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Just swipe to see more like this.