Patty's Mom's Black Bean Soup25 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 3 hr 20 min
- Ready In: 11 hr 50 min
“This is a simple recipe, yet it is the best black bean soup I've tried. I have been lucky to get home smoked ham, and used the bone from it. I've also made it with smoked ham hocks I've gotten from the butcher. Of course the home smoked ham makes the soup superlative, the butcher bone made it wonderful. Either way, I think you'll enjoy it. It can be made spicy if that's the way you prefer it. It can also be topped with sour cream.” - by Beverly
Original recipe yields 4 - 6 servings
- Soak the beans overnight in a pan of water.
- Drain off the soaking water. Simmer beans in 8 cups of water until soft.
- While the beans are cooking, saute the chopped onion and celery in margarine until golden. Add the vegetables to the soup pot along with bay leaves, parsley, salt, pepper, and ham bone. Cook over medium heat for 3 hours, adding water if needed.
- After the beans are cooked and soft, remove the ham. Set aside. Cool soup, and puree in batches. Return the soup to the pot, and add dry sherry.
- Cut the meat off the bone, and add the meat to the soup. Cook over low heat until warmed through, and adjust seasonings.
Amount Per Serving (5 total)
- 345 cal
- 3.3 g
- 60.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (25)Rate This Recipe
"I first made Patty's BB soup about a year ago, but didn't think to post a review. However, I was preparing to e-mail this recipe to my daughter and was shocked to see it only had 2 reviews! This soup..." See more was so much yummier than other Black Bean soups I tried out. First of all, to those that feel it takes to long for the bean prepartion.....really, one can skip the overnight soak. That mostly helps as far as keeping you quite so "windy" after eating. The sherry is a most! Do not skip it or any other sherry you may have on hand. I slow cook mine for the better part of a day because we like our soup rather thick. Oh, and one more thing! I once tried dipping this soup over rice, ala`Red Beans & Rice. Yeah! Majorially yummy! A side of corn bread muffins and it's all about heaven. Thanks Patty's Mom!"
"Great soup, I changed the cooking method and used my slow cooker. I added the ham bone, soaked beans, cooked onions & celery along with rest of the ingriendents to the cooker. I also added cumin and c..." See moreayenne to the soup. Cooked on low for 8 hours. Pureed the soup with an immersion blender, a lot easier! Topped soup with cheese and crumbled tortilla chips."
"Excellent black bean soup. I'll be using this recipe from now on. I was in a hurry, so I used three large cans of black beans, which I drained and rinsed. Added a carton of chicken broth and tosse..." See mored everything else into the mix. Only other change I made was to add garlic and a teeny bit of cilantro. Thanks, Patty's Mom!"
Black Bean Soup II
Just swipe to see more like this.