Sauerkraut Soup I19 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 1 hr 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“Goes great with fish sandwiches, or nice chewy breadsticks. Make sure you serve the soup piping hot. I don't rinse off my sauerkraut because we like our soup tart. If you want, though, you can rinse it.” - by Linda
Original recipe yields 6 + servings
- Steep mushrooms in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water until they are soft and you can chop them (I use a food processor). Save the water to add to the soup. It gives it a nice rich color.
- Put sauerkraut, sauerkraut juice, and 1 1/2 quarts water in soup pot (5-quart Dutch oven is fine). Bring to a boil, add chopped mushrooms and mushroom water. Turn down heat and simmer for one hour.
- Add barley (make sure you rinse it first), cook until barley is done.
- In the meantime, melt the butter and saute onions until they're soft. Add the flour to the onion mixture to thicken. Add some of the boiling liquid from your soup to the onion mixture and when smooth add to soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. If soup is too thick for your taste, add a little more sauerkraut juice mixed with water. Enjoy.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 205 cal
- 10.2 g
- 24.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (19)Rate This Recipe
"I lost my original Christmas Polish sauerkraut soup recipe and this one is very musch like it. It is very good and our Polish friends and relatives love it...." See more"
"Yum! I added some kielbasa and caraway to the soup and that really made the flavor. Without those additions, I think it would have just been sauerkraut in broth. I followed the rest of the recipe exce..." See morept I skipped the flour and butter roux, but this soup is still plenty thick without it. In fact, I had to had an extra quart of water. "
Oatmeal and Tomato Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.