The Aztec Five-Step13 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 1 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 10 min
“You'll be dancing in the streets!” - by Christine L.
Original recipe yields 12 to 16 servings
- Heat olive oil in large skillet and saute onions and garlic over low heat until they are translucent and soft, about 8-10 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, cumin, and black pepper, and cook over low heat, partially covered, another 10-12 minutes. Let cool, then blend in a processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add chicken, bay leaves, and epazote. Water should cover chicken by an inch or so. Skim off foam and fat that surface in first 5 minutes. Add reserved puree and tomato paste and cook; partially covered, with liquid at rolling simmer, for another 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a platter. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones, then shred.
- Add peppers, carrots, and celery to broth and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add zucchini and cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from broth with slotted spoon. Salt broth to taste.
- Peel and parboil potatoes. Then dice and saute in a little olive oil until brown.
- Place a scoop of vegetables and a heaping tablespoon of potatoes in a large soup bowl. Next, add tortilla strips, spinach, shredded chicken, avocado, and cheese. Pour piping-hot broth over everything and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving (14 total)
- 587 cal
- 34.4 g
- 32.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (13)Rate This Recipe
"I liked the flavor of this recipe. I did use cilantro instead of the epazote because I've never used it, wasn't sure of the flavor, and didn't want to take a chance on my family not liking it after al..." See morel the work that goes into this lol. I followed the rest of it to a 't'. I do think it tastes even better the next day (I just mixed everything together in a tupperware instead of saving each layer seperately and it was yummy). I do not however agree with all here that this recipe is worth all the work. I have made some elaborate recipes which are worth all the work, but I am sorry to say, for us this is not one of them. I think it could be done with many shortcuts and have the same flavor. Will tinker with it and find an easier way to make it. But overall flavor deserves 4 stars!"
"This was very good, however I scaled down the number as well as the quantity of ingredients and made some major modifications in order to make this a little less time consuming to prepare. Instead of..." See more chicken, I used fully-cooked chicken sausage w/spinach and asiago cheese. Since the sausage had spinach in it I omitted this from the ingredient list. I used chicken broth instead of water, and I used diced tomatoes instead of whole. I did not puree the tomatoes in a food processor. I used tortilla chips instead of corn tortillas, and I also added a dollop of sour cream to the finished dish. I served this to 4 picky teens and they all had seconds!"
Cream of Chicken with Wild Rice Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.