Knaakkebrod or Nakkileipa (Scandinavian-Style Rye Crisp Bread)3 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 8 min
- Ready In: 53 min
“This is a recipe for Norwegian rye crisp or hardtack called 'knaakebrod,' very similar to the Finnish variety named 'nakkileipa.' These crackers can be dried and stored a very long time, but they're better fresh!” - by leopardstripes
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the rye flour with all-purpose flour in a large bowl. Stir in the salt. Mix in the yeast mixture to make a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a board floured with rye meal. Knead lightly, mixing in rye meal as needed. Shape dough into a fat roll, and cut into 12 sections. Roll each section into a ball; cover balls with a towel and let rise 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- On a floured board, roll out each ball into a flat round about 4 inches in diameter. Place rounds on prepared baking sheets and prick with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on a rack.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 104 cal
- 0.4 g
- < 1%
- 22 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"Thank you for sharing your fantastic recipe. The finished product is just what I hoped for! I cooked the bread for 2 or 3 minutes longer than suggested, but I just moved to a new apartment and hav..." See moreen't got a feel for the new oven yet. "
"My problem was getting the rye meal! I finally decided to chop up rye berries! Other than that, the bread was easy to make! The taste and texture were great! This goes real well with a hearty soup...." See more We will be making this again! Thanks for the recipe!"
Michael's Foccacia Bread
Basic Rye Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.