Sweet Potato-Cashew Bake6 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“This dish has always been on our Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter menus. You can't go wrong with sweet potatoes that are cooked, sliced, and layered with brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cashews. The whole mixture is then baked and topped with mini marshmallows that brown at the end. Canned yams can be used instead of the sweet potatoes.” - by Cara M.
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until a fork easily pierces the potatoes, about 10 minutes. Drain, and cool.
- Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt together in a bowl. Stir in the cashews.
- Arrange half the sweet potatoes over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half the brown sugar mixture. Top with half the butter pieces. Repeat with a second layer of sweet potatoes, brown sugar mixture, and remaining butter pieces.
- Bake in preheated oven until potatoes are glazed with the brown sugar mixture, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle mini marshmallows over the top, and return to the oven to bake until browned, about 5 minutes more.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 236 cal
- 6.6 g
- 42.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"I absolutely love this recipe. I am surprised more people haven't raved about it. Last year was the first thanksgiving I cooked and this recipe was a peace maker. I love yams with brown sugar and n..." See moreuts and my husband is a marshmellow man. This way, he can get all the gooey marshmellows of the top and the second layer lets me have them my way. I made this several times after thanksgiving and this year I tried something different. I mashed the yams with butter before layering (so we could cut the butter in half) and also used pecans for a more traditional taste. It was fantastic! Thanks for the recipe!"
"Hi all! This is my recipe. I'm so pleased that others have enjoyed this recipe as much as we do! When I want to start this recipe a day ahead, I just rinse off the whole sweet potatoes, put in a la..." See morerge pot, cover with water and boil the whole potatoes until just tender (not mushy!). Let cool a couple of min and then peel away skin, slice and continue with recipe. I've also made this with pecans instead of cashews and everyone always loves it. "
"This is the recipe I will use from now on..the flavor was excellent and just what I was looking for. Since I was looking for a quick side, I sped things up. I used a 40 oz can of cut yams (drained t..." See morehe juice). I didn't have cashews, so I just left them out. I cooked it in the microwave for approx. 6 minutes, added the marshmallows and cooked another 1 1/2 min. The marshmallows didn't brown, but we didn't care...they tasted fabulous! Next time (when I'm not in a hurry) I'll cook it exactly as written and I know they'd rate a 10 if possible! Thanks for sharing."
Sweet Potato Bake
Sweet Potato and Hazelnut Mashed Potatoes
Just swipe to see more like this.