Holiday Pumpkin Cake with Rum-Cream Cheese Glaze38 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“This cake is a huge hit with my family during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. It's very moist and just melts in your mouth. It's a yummy alternative to traditional pumpkin pie. This cake is good as is, or sprinkled with powdered sugar. It is especially tasty with a good glaze drizzled on top. The glaze that my family likes best is made with cream cheese and a little bit of rum.” - by Kristi Catalani
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- Sift the self-rising flour and pumpkin pie spice together into a bowl. In another mixing bowl, beat the white and brown sugars, vegetable oil, melted butter, applesauce, vanilla, pumpkin, and eggs together until smooth.
- Gradually beat the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until completely smooth and well blended. Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes. Cover cake with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning, and bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for about half an hour.
- To unmold the cake, tap the bottom of the Bundt pan on the counter or work surface to help release it. Invert the cake on a serving plate and allow it to cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, mix the cream cheese with the butter, confectioners' sugar, rum extract, and milk in a bowl. Heat in a microwave oven for 15 seconds. Drizzle spoonfuls over the cooled cake. Keep cake refrigerated after serving.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 492 cal
- 19.3 g
- 76.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (38)Rate This Recipe
"I feel bad to be rating a recipe so low but there are some pretty big problems with this one. First, please be aware that the recipe calls for self-rising flour, not all-purpose. I did not notice th..." See moreis until after mixing it all together and realizing there was no baking powder or baking soda in the recipe! I managed to mix in a tsp. of baking powder at the end before baking but ideally it should be added with the dry ingredients. I believe 3 cups of pumpkin puree is too much. All I had on hand was a 15 oz. can and it was plenty. Also, there is no baking time indicated! It just says to bake it till done. I baked mine till a toothpick came out clean (approx. 55-60 min.) but the texture towards the middle of the cake was a little too dense and almost undercooked so I think it could have used a bit more time in the oven or maybe that is just the texture of this cake. I really wanted to like it for a Fall recipe but it needs some fine tuning. "
"Awesome cake, and actually Valerie there is a cookoing time- 1 hr. and all cooks should read the recipe before cooking...." See more"
"Wonderful, fabulous, superb, and every other splendiferous adjective you can come up with! I used cooked, mashed sweet potatoes in place of the pumpkin because they were $.25 a pound today. Laced the ..." See morecake with 2 Tb of rum and added 2 tsp ginger. Note about self rising flour: measure 2 cups all purpose flour, and remove 1 tablespoon (either discard that Tb or return it back to the flour bag.) To the remaining scant 2 cups of flour, add 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Voila! Your own self rising flour. Just to set the record straight it is true that there is no baking time specified in the actual directions (which is the logical place where most people look.) It took 70 minutes in my recently calibrated oven to get a clean toothpick with only a few, tiny crumbs clinging. Made the glaze with 1 Tb Tortuga Gold rum and replaced the milk with orange juice, adding a half tsp freshly grated orange zest. The orange imparted subtle counterpoint to the spices and gave a fresh taste. This cake bakes up nice and high for a stunning presentation. It's an impressive cake for important events, like big holiday parties or family gatherings. Your baking skills will be impossible to deny if you make this one. It's a show-stopper for sure, and as super moist and delectable as it was beautiful to look at. Thank you for an outstanding holiday recipe!"
Pumpkin Sheet Cake
Pumpkin Spice Cake I
Just swipe to see more like this.