Cream of Tomato37 Reviews
- Prep: 5 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 30 min
“Best done with fresh ripe tomatoes, but also very good with canned tomatoes. If you use fresh herbs, you will need more than dried (in proportion, 3 times more). I ate this soup for the first time when I visited an aunt. She made this just for me. Over the years, I made my own version to match the taste I remembered. Here it is. Bon appetit.” - by Lise P.
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- In a saucepan, heat the tomatoes and cut them in small pieces. (If you use the fresh ones, put the tomatoes into a boiling bath until the peel cracks. Peel them and proceed the same way)
- Heat the 2 cups of milk in another saucepan.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, sugar and 1/4 cup milk in a small dish until smooth. Stir the flour mixture into the simmering milk until it thickens. DO NOT BOIL.
- Stir the baking soda into the hot tomatoes. When the fizzing slows down, add slowly to the hot milk. Simmer a few minutes, adding basil, oregano, and marjoram to taste.
- Note: If you want a creamy cream of tomato, you will have to put your tomatoes through a sieve or a food processor before you mix them with the milk.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 113 cal
- 3.1 g
- 16.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (37)Rate This Recipe
"I left the marjoram out only because our family does not care for that spice. I made no other changes. Nice basic cream of tomato soup. The kids raved about it. I paired this with homemade italian gri..." See morelled cheese sandwiches. GREAT comfort food meal."
"This came out quite delicious. I did have to make a few changes to mine. For instance, I used a Tbsp of Italian seasoning instead of the dried herbs, I also added a bit more salt than it called for ..." See moresince my soup came out a bit bland. Finally I had to thicken up my milk more with roux (mixture of melted butter and flour) before I added it to the tomatoes but my tomatoes were very watery. Besides that ;) The recipe came out delicious and was definately the best tomato soup I have tasted!"
Cream of Tomato Gorgonzola Soup
Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.