Cream of Fresh Asparagus Soup I78 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“What a great way to use that spring-fresh asparagus!” - by MARBALET
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Break off and discard tough asparagus bottoms. Break off tips; set aside. Coarsely chop stalks.
- Cook in skillet over medium heat with onion in butter, salting lightly, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- When onions are clear, sprinkle with flour. Continue to stir over lowest possible heat 5 to 8 minutes.
- Slowly add water or stock, stirring constantly. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened. Cool slightly.
- In blender, puree sauce bit-by-bit with milk until thoroughly smooth.
- Return puree to 3-quart pan, preferably a double boiler. Add dill, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and tamari. Heat gently but don't boil.
- As soup heats, cook asparagus tips in boiling water until tender, but still very green, about 2 minutes; drain. Add whole pieces to soup.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 255 cal
- 15 g
- 22.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (78)Rate This Recipe
"Had some extra asparagus so I decided to try this soup and it turned out GREAT! I used a whole stick of butter because I was too lazy to measure out 6 tablespoons. I cooked it on my gas stove over lo..." See morew heat so the onions wouldn't burn. I also mixed it with a hand blender rather than puree in a regular blender. I love using my Braun hand blender. Everyone liked it and it had great flavor. I left out the soy sauce and used a little extra white pepper. The tips were like little bonuses in the soup. Highly recommend it!"
"My husband and I loved this recipe. My adult son stopped by just as I was serving it up, and he too thought it was excellent. I made a few minor changes as follows: I used skim milk for the milk ca..." See morelled for in the recipe. 1 medium onion, chopped (instead of 1-1/2 cups), 4 Tbs. butter (rather than 6) and I replaced the 2 cups of water with 1 can of chicken broth plus 2 oz. water. Also, I only used 1 Tbs soy sauce. As another had suggested, I used my Braun hand blender directly in the pan which saved some time and clean-up. I heated the skim milk in the microwave and found the recipe came together quicker than expected. Thanks Holly for a an excellent recipe!"
Cream of Fresh Asparagus Soup II
Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.