Excellent Apple Gingerbread4 Reviews
- Prep: 50 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 30 min
“This is a traditional Polish Christmas gingerbread with apple filling. Believe me, it is excellent and easy to make!” - by Izabela
Original recipe yields 1 9-inch layer cake
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the apples; cook and stir until tender. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix 3/4 cup of butter, honey, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy using an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing each one until blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cloves, ginger and salt; stir into the batter, alternating with the milk. Stir in the walnuts and cooked apples just until evenly distributed. Divide evenly between the prepared pans and spread evenly.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool the cakes on a wire rack. Keep the oven on for the walnuts.
- To make the candied walnuts for the top of the cake, whip the egg whites in a clean bowl until foamy. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. Spread the nuts out on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until toasted and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Cool completely before using.
- To make the frosting, mix together the butter, confectioners' sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Place one layer of cake on a serving plate and spread with a thin layer of the cream cheese icing. Top with most of the apple filling and spread evenly. Place the other layer of cake on top with the bottom facing up. Spread remaining cream cheese icing over the top and sides. Decorate the top with remaining apple filling and sprinkle with candied walnuts.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 918 cal
- 56.1 g
- 99.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"This is super good! I didn't add the candied walnuts to the top because of allergies and I also just made one layer instead of 2. But the taste is phenominal, thanks for a great recipe!..." See more"
"Good and lasts a while in the refrigerator. My candied walnuts didn't turn out that great--not sure if it was me or the recipe (which I followed). Next time I will not use canned apples...I'll saute..." See more fresh ones with a little sugar and cinnamon. A nice fall cake."
Apple Harvest Pound Cake with Caramel Glaze
Apple Crisp Cups
Just swipe to see more like this.