Tomatillo Soup79 Reviews
“This is a great soup that can be spiced up or tamed down depending on your individual taste. Keep in mind that you if can not purchase fresh tomatillos at your local grocery store you can substitute with canned tomatillos, drained and chopped. Try garnishing with sour cream, as indicated in the recipe. Top with a leaf of cilantro.” - by Holly
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Heat oil over high heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Saute chicken in oil until both sides are browned, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the chicken, and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to saucepan, and saute until golden. Stir in the tomatillos, jalapeno peppers, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Puree vegetables in batches in a blender or food processor. Return to pot, and reheat. At this point taste the soup; if not piquant enough, add cayenne pepper or pepper sauce.
- Slice the chicken into thin slices, and then shred. Stir into soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve, stir in the minced cilantro and ladle into bowls. Put a dollop of sour cream on top of each portion, and let it melt a bit. Top each dollop with a single cilantro leaf, and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 159 cal
- 10.1 g
- 7.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (79)Rate This Recipe
"Great soup. I made mine in the slow cooker. It was super easy and fast. I added 2 raw whole chicken breasts, all the ingredients (I didn't even chop the onions or tomatillo's, just added them whole..." See more) I put it on low for about 6 hours, then I put everything except the chicken breasts in my blender. I shredded the chicken, and added the puree back to the pot. Voila!"
"I've only recently discovered tomatillos, and was so happy to find this recipe! I used just over a pound of tomatillos but I definitely think I should have used more - the broth was a little too water..." See morey for my liking. I added a little bit of cumin, and also a splash of lime juice. The flavor was absolutely outstanding! I will be making this again! Thanks!"
Chicken Tortilla Soup V
Just swipe to see more like this.