Old-Fashioned Beef Stew18 Reviews
“I took my Grandmother's recipe, trimmed the fat and enhanced the flavor.” - by CORWYNN DARKHOLME
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Coat beef with flour, shaking off excess. In a large nonstick stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat, add beef and saute until brown, approximately 6 minutes. Remove beef from stock pot and set aside.
- Add onions and mushrooms to stock pot and saute for 6 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute, continually stirring.
- Skim off fat any fat from the stock pot and return cooked beef to pot; stir in tomato paste and broth. Add enough water to just cover ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Skim off any foam that has accumulated on the surface of stew and add carrots, potatoes and green beans. Cover partially and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water. Stir mixture into stew. Increase heat and boil uncovered for 1 minute. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 329 cal
- 15.7 g
- 29.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (18)Rate This Recipe
"I have used an identical recipe to this for some time now, and it really has 5-star potential. A few tips: I always add more tomato paste -- closer to 2 TBSP -- and stir it into the mixture before add..." See moreing the broth. Also, the vegetables need extra time to cook at the end. Bring them to a boil and reduce heat to medium or med-high (still bubbling) and cook until veggies are just softened. Return to rapid boil for cornstarch addition and reduce heat to low or turn off completely. Add parsley and let sit for about 10 mins.-- the stew will reach a wonderful consistency. Serve with warm cornbread or rolls and you are set. Yummy!!!"
"This was an excellent recipe. I used celery in place of the green beans and added pepper and salt to the flour and added a little garlic salt to this recipe. I did simmer for about an hour and a half ..." See morethen added the carrots, potatoes, and celery and simmered for another hour. Great recipe! Thanks."
"Thank you, this is exactly what we were looking for !! We are in the midst of an ice storm and this was just the thing to warm us up. Only changes we did were to add some red wine in addition to t..." See morehe water, cubed the potatoes instead of slicing and used pearl onions instead of regular onions. This is a definite keeper for us !!"
Make-Ahead Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Hearty Beef Stew
Just swipe to see more like this.