Carib Black Bean Soup69 Reviews
“A creamy soup with a touch of Caribbean flavor. Uncle Bill's Tips: If using canned beans, reduce cooking time to 40 minutes after adding the beans. You may also use 2 (7.5 ounce) cans flaked ham if you desire a different flavor. Add ham to cooking pot after adding broth.” - by William Anatooskin
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- In a medium-size stock pot, add dried black beans and 6 cups of water, cover and let soak overnight.
- In another large stock pot, heat olive oil and add onion, minced garlic and chopped celery. Saute until vegetables are softened.
- Drain and rinse soaked black beans. Add pre-soaked beans or drained and rinsed canned beans to vegetable mixture along with 2 cups water and broth. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- Add cayenne pepper and ground cumin. Partially cover the pot and simmer over low heat for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until beans are soft.
- Puree soup in batches in food processor or blender. Return pureed soup to stock pot and simmer.
- Add vinegar, sherry, soy sauce and pepper. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and chopped green onions.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 199 cal
- 5.1 g
- 29.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (69)Rate This Recipe
"Very good taste! Note: I pureed only a portion of the beans because I could see the soup would be nothing but creamy, and decided I would not puree the beans at all next time I make it--I like havin..." See moreg textured black bean soup."
"This soup is a crowd pleaser- and my two year old LOVED it! Even with extra cooking my beans didn't completely soften which was not a problem after I blended the entire batch. I completely prepared th..." See moree soup a day early and then set it in a crock pot before we headed out to the pumpkin patch. When we returned a few hours later, the house smelled wonderful and the soup pleased everyone. It is so tasty that we will be having it again soon. Thanks! Update: It is Oct 23, 2008, five years (to the day) after my first review of this soup. We are having it tonight. It is truly a family favorite- a staple of our fall and winter meal plan. It is a great kid-pleaser. BTW, my beans didn't soften up tonight either!"
Patty's Mom's Black Bean Soup
Beezie's Black Bean Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.