Lance's French Onion Soup72 Reviews
“A proven, favorite recipe for the best French Onion soup ever. White Zinfindel goes great with this soup, too. You can double the recipe pretty easy, and I even tripled it once. Make sure to keep the sugar down, if you do.” - by Lance Mertz
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- In a medium stock pot, heat beef broth over medium-high heat.
- In a saute pan, add butter and oil and cook over medium-high heat. Once heated, add onions and stir, until onions are tender and transparent. Stir in sugar.
- Add onions to heated broth, stir and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add wine and season with salt and pepper, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour soup mixture into individual serving bowls and place a slice of bread on top, making sure bread gets well soaked. Place shredded cheese on top of bread and broil, 3 inches below heat, until cheese bubbles.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 664 cal
- 33.1 g
- 56.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (72)Rate This Recipe
"Tried every French Onion Soup on this site and this is the best. I left out the wine and added 2 tsp beef boullion. Other than that I made this exactly ad written and was thrilled with the results. ..." See more Thanks!"
"This is an excellent recipe. The only problem I had was I bought 5 regular size white onions and only needed 3 of them. That was plenty! I used sherry as the white wine. I really liked this because it..." See more was sweet, not salty. I used a mix of provolone, mozzarella, and fresh romano on the bread."
"This soup was the best ever. My husband has asked me to make it four more times since I've first tried it. Its VERY easy. I added the wine to the onions as they were sauteing, it seemed to add more ..." See moreflavor. I used mozzarella cheese. My parents loved it also. Better than any restaurant. Thanks for such a great recipe."
Rich and Simple French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup III
Just swipe to see more like this.