Cream of Pumpkin Soup414 Reviews
“A creamy pumpkin soup for Autumn. This soup is smooth and flavorful. The addition of ginger lends a sweet and spicy flavor to a traditional seasonal dish. The cinnamon croutons are lovely and make the soup reminiscent of pumpkin pie.” - by Thomas
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F(200 degrees C). Combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Spread butter mixture evenly over one side of each bread slice. Place bread, buttered side up, on a baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until bread is crisp and topping is bubbly. Cut each slice of bread into 8 small triangles or squares.
- Saute onion in butter in a medium saucepan until tender. Add 1 can chicken broth; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Transfer broth mixture into the container of a blender or processor. Process until smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Add remaining can of broth, pumpkin, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground pepper; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Stir in whipping cream and heat through. Do not boil. Ladle into individual soup bowls. Top each serving with Cinnamon Croutons.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 313 cal
- 25.1 g
- 19.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (414)Rate This Recipe
"Dear people- read the reviews. My first taste I almost launched the pot down the sink. Then as it simmered I read more reviews. Unsure how to rate it since it's not that good as written but what are..." See more recipes anyway but good ideas to add to, right?!?! Ok agree with me later. This soup is EXCELLENT when you add a palmful of brown sugar. AND add extra pumpkin pie spices. AND a sprinkle or 2 of cayenne pepper. I used half-n-half and I ran outta onions, but did mince up some garlic. I really love how it turned out. Taste as you go and for the love of G-d do NOT over-salt it."
"Great soup on a cold day! I made it lowfat by using Pam instead of butter, and using skim milk thickened with corn starch instead of whipping cream. Also, instead of croutons, I just floated some slic..." See moreed scallions on the top to make it pretty. Thanks for the recipe!"
"Great recipe! I made a double batch to take to a party and everyone loved it. I accidentally forgot to add the cream and it was still delicious; BUT I thought it was just a tad too salty, and will hal..." See moreve the salt next time (i'm sure the kind of broth you use affects the saltiness, too). I doubled the ginger and cinnamon, and added a pinch of nutmeg. I think I will follow other reviewers' advice and add about 1/4c brown sugar (or maybe maple syrup?!) next time, and maybe try topping with toasted pumpkin seeds?? The croutons were definitely a great touch to this recipe. I only had a loaf of french bread, so sliced that into 1/2 inch rounds and toppped that with the cinnamon sugar mixture and it was still great (although I think the wheat would've been better). VERY EASY TO MAKE! THANKS."
Pumpkin and Sausage Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.