Empanadas Fritas de Queso6 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“These empanadas use queso chanco, but a good substitute is a mixture of Swiss and Havarti. I usually bake mine, but they are really good fried. I serve these with a chile-Chile sauce.” - by damasio
Original recipe yields 16 empanadas
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Combine the lard and milk in a saucepan, and heat until the milk is hot. Pour the hot milk into the flour mixture, and stir until a dough forms. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic. Cover, and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 4-inch rounds. Brush the outer edges of each circle with beaten egg, and fill with a small mound of cheese. Fold each circle in half to form a half-moon; press the edges with your fingers or a fork to seal. Place the empanadas onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with remaining egg.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden-brown, about 20 minutes.
- Alternatively, the empanadas may be deep fried in 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oil. If deep frying, do not brush the outsides of the empanadas with egg. Drain on paper towels.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 343 cal
- 13.8 g
- 39 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"This review is only for the crust. I used this crust for an authentic empanada crust, and it was spot on! To mix the dough I first used a fork then my hands the rest of the way, all in the bowl. Th..." See moreere was no need for extra flour since I rolled between wax paper. My dough didn't become stretchy until after it rested for 15 minutes. 1/4 inch is somewhat thick, so after cutting the circles, roll the dough out a little thinner. I sprinkled paprika over the egg whites, and baked at 350 for 35 minutes"
"They taste AMAZING with salsa or cream cheese as a dip...also instead of putting a block of cheese in the middle, I did a Mediterranean twist and did ground chicken, basil, cubed tomatoes and grated c..." See moreheese instead!!"
RWOP Finalist: Breakfast Empanadas with Chipotle Cream
Pupusas de Queso (Cheese-Stuffed Tortillas)
Just swipe to see more like this.