Creamed Onions and Sage6 Reviews
“Tender, sweet and creamy, these tasty onions are fragrant with sage.” - by Erika Michael
Original recipe yields 10 cups
- Peel onions a trim slightly at the top and bottom. Boil the onions gently in salted water until tender (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter one shallow baking dish.
- Saute the sliced mushrooms in the butter or margarine. Stir in the flour. Stir in the half and half or milk, salt, sage, 1/2 of the lemon peel and all of the lemon juice. Cook, stirring over medium heat until sauce thickens.
- Place the cooked onions in the prepared baking dish and pour the mushroom sauce over them.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle the top with the chopped parsley, remaining lemon peel and paprika to taste.
Amount Per Serving (20 total)
- 91 cal
- 5.2 g
- 10 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"These were very good. I added some garlic in with the mushrooms. I would shorten the cooking time on the onions to 25 minutes...." See more"
"These were good. They smelled fantastic while they were baking. I would reduce the amount of time that the onions boil. They were a little sweeter that I expected but it was a nice, different side ..." See moredish."
Savory Grilled Onions
Mom's Traditional Creamed Onions
Just swipe to see more like this.