Roast Turkey With Tasty Chestnut Stuffing7 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 4 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 5 hr 30 min
“Simple but seriously yummy.” - by Christine L.
Original recipe yields 16 servings
- With a sharp knife cut a cross on the flat side of each chestnut. Simmer, covered with water, in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Drain. While hot, remove the shells and inner brown skins. Cover with fresh water. Boil for 20 to 30 minutes until tender. Drain. Chop coarsely.
- To prepare the stuffing, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onions and celery, and cook until tender. Thoroughly mix in bread crumbs and chestnuts. Season with thyme, marjoram, savory, and rosemary.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Wash turkey with cold water, and pat dry. Rub salt and pepper into body cavities. Loosely spoon stuffing into body cavities. Close skin with skewers or kitchen twine, and tie drumsticks together. Place turkey on a rack in a medium roasting pan.
- Roast turkey 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours in the preheated oven, until internal temperature of thigh reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C) and stuffing reaches 165 degrees F (75 degrees C). A foil tent may be placed over the turkey during the last half of roasting time to avoid over browning. Remove from oven, place on platter, and allow the turkey to stand for 20 minutes before carving.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 1103 cal
- 51.2 g
- 76.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"Melt in your mouth kind of yummy!..." See more"
"obviously miss francis is a hard woman to please but i found this dish very tasty, and obviously being a better cook than miss francis my turkey was moist and delicious. Thanks for sharing this recip..." See moree. Ignore the snobs of society"
A Simply Perfect Roast Turkey
Turkey With Apricot-Water Chestnut Stuffing
Just swipe to see more like this.