Potato and Shiitake Mushroom Gratin36 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 1 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 15 min
“Fall mushrooms give this dish a hearty flavor. Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth, and this makes a perfect meal for that vegetarian girlfriend your son is bringing to the holiday dinner. The rest of the family will love it too.” - by Christine L.
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Melt butter in a large pot over high heat. Saute mushrooms in butter until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, thyme, and rosemary, and cook for 1 minute. Pour in chicken broth, and simmer until liquid evaporates. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Arrange 1/3 of the potatoes in prepared dish, overlapping slightly. Spread half of the mushroom mixture evenly over the potatoes, and then sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over mushrooms. Repeat layering, and then arrange remaining potatoes on top.
- In a large bowl, mix together the half and half, heavy cream, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Pour mixture over potatoes. Cover loosely with foil.
- Place baking dish on middle rack in oven. Bake until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Uncover. Sprinkle remaining cheese over potatoes. Bake until cheese melts, about 15 minutes longer.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 447 cal
- 30.4 g
- 30.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (36)Rate This Recipe
"I served this dish along side a marinated pork tenderloin and it worked great. Everybody raved about how delicious it was. A word of caution however -- not a good recipe for those trying to lose weigh..." See moret . . ."
"I used low-fat milk in place of the heavy cream to cut some of the fat and it still turned out beautifully. I will definitely make again. I used brown button mushrooms and I think it would be good w..." See moreith any type you prefer."
"I made this for a dinner party for my parents and future-in-laws. I was worried because I had cooked it for 2 hours and the potatoes were not done! I cooked it for another hour at 425 and I was able t..." See moreo serve from around the pan, but the middle was still not done. The good news? Everyone loved it. It was time consuming, but I had help in the kitchen. I would make it again for a special occasion. We served it with steaks and Lemon Pepper Green Beans."
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
Easy Au Gratin Potatoes
Just swipe to see more like this.