Smoked Carrot Bisque3 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 3 hr 45 min
- Ready In: 4 hr 5 min
“This is both popular with both vegetarians and meat eaters alike.” - by PappaB.Mc
Original recipe yields 6 quarts
- Place whole, peeled carrots onto smoker rack. Smoke 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Heat vegetable oil in a 1 1/2 to 2 gallon soup pot over medium heat. Stir in onions, jalapeno pepper, and garlic, cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Chop carrots, and add to onions along with celery; continue cooking another 5 to 10 minutes until the celery softens.
- Stir in turmeric and curry powder until evenly distributed; pour in vegetable stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the vegetables out of the soup and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour the puree back into the soup, and continue simmering 30 minutes more.
- Whisk butter into soup until melted, then stir in cream, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain soup through a fine mesh strainer before serving.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 249 cal
- 16.7 g
- 23 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"I didn't have a smoker, so I added 1 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke when cooking the carrots and onions. I was missing some ingredients so I used 1tsp smoked chipotle Tabasco sauce and 1/2tsp red pepper flak..." See morees instead of jalapeño peppers and instead of the celery I added more onion and some celery salt. To lower the cholesterol, I used margarine and omitted the cream. It still turned out creamy even though it was 100% vegan! I would love to taste it with carrots from a smoker! The flavors are quite good."
PAMELA D. aPROpos of nothing
"WOW! WOW! WOW! I more or less cut this in half. I used my stove top smoker, steamed the carrot coins first then smoked. Not enough smoke flavor so I smoked again. (just learning) I used 2 whole ser..." See moreranos and holy cow it was literally, hurt me good smoking hot. I blended twice but didn't strain. As I reached into the fridge for the cream I happened upon the goat milk/buttermilk combo from my failed chevere making experiment. I took the notion to see how that would be in the soup. My taste sample was crazy good so I used 2 cups of the combined milks, tasting as I added. It was plenty thick enough as it had reduced a good bit. This was CRAZY GOOD. 5 stars for the taste before I added the goat milk and 5 stars with my changes. The kiddo didn't care for it but she's funny with cooked carrots, plus it was a bit too hot for her. She can have raman when I indulge in this delight. THANK YOU PappaB.Mc!"
"LOVED IT! I had lots of carrots to use, so looked up recipes until I found this one. I did change things, just to use what I had on hand. Here's what I did: 1 1/2 lbs of grated carrots, 1 onion, b..." See moreut added onion powder, 1 1/2 T EVOO, 4 cloves of garlic, 3 stalks of celery, no tumeric, 2 t curry powder, 1 t cumin powder, no butter, 4 oz cream cheese, 1 t smoked, paprika, 1/4-1/2 t South African smoked pepper, kosher salt, 2 lg boxes of low sodium veggie broth. I followed the recipe on prep, except the roasting part. I used my immersion blender to puree carrots & blend in the cream cheese. I will definately make this again. Love the 'fall' color, the smoky flavor, with a curry kick. Thanks for the recipe."
Creamy Carrot Soup
Carrot Ginger Creme
Just swipe to see more like this.